Brandied/Maple Syrup Mushrooms
Brandied mushrooms make a great soup base, and are an excellent accompaniment for fish or pork -- simply serve alongside, or bake on top. Excellent as a topping during cooking when using cedar plank salmon or trout.
- double handful (around 2 cups) of minced or sliced mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic
- optional: minced red pepper (scant 1/4 cup)
- 3-4 sage leaves, or 1/4 teaspoon dried sage
- 3 oz brandy or maple syrup
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan.
- Brown garlic, and sage (along with minced peppers if using) for 3 minutes over med heat
- Add mushrooms, brown for a further 3 minutes on med heat
- turn heat down to low, allow mushrooms to reduce, stirring occasionally (10-15 minutes)
- add brandy and allow to macerate over low heat for a further 10 minutes.